Oasis' PoetryPlace

Welcome to Oasis Ministries' sacred space for poetry sharing.
Launched in February 2010 to share favorite poetry and prayers around the themes of
LOVE, PEACE and JUSTICE.

You are welcome to share your own favorite poetry and prayers --
freely by using "comments" or by sending an email to cindygaris@oasismin.org so you can be made an 'author' for this blog.

Sorry we have not found an easier way to allow you to share your insights. If you have other suggestions, please email cindygaris@oasismin.org.

If you make a post, we encourage you to add labels so that others are able to find various resources. Labels may include theme of poem, name of poet, title of poem, etc.


Monday, August 31, 2015

Mystic by D.H. Lawrence

Mystic

They call all experience of the senses mystic, when the experience is
considered.
So an apple becomes mystic when I taste in it
the summer and the snows, the wild welter of earth
and the insistence of the sun.

All of which things I can surely taste in a good apple.
Though some apples taste preponderantly of water, wet and sour
and some of too much sun, brackish sweet
like lagoon water, that has been too much sunned.

If I say I taste these things in an apple, I am called mystic, which
means a liar.
The only way to eat an apple is to hog it down like a pig
and taste nothing
that is real.

But if I eat an apple, I like to eat it with all my senses awake.
Hogging it down I call the feeding of corpses.

--D. H. Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment